05 December 2006

Some Qualities of George Saunders' Writing

What are some of the qualities of George Saunders' writing? Firstly, his "plots" are sort of absurd. They involve events and situations that do not normally occur in our common reality (or at least in my perception of it). Secondly, he doesn't take the traditional path in trying to start with a boring exposition to explain the situation of the story. He begins the story's events immediately, without any intitial explanation. As the story progresses, the reader is given enough clues to figure out the situation. I like this technique because it requires me to investigate the setting by picking up various clues; this inevitably makes me want to continue reading. Thirdly, he has a good handle on interior monologue and stream of consciousness. Fourthly, he doesn't waste a lot of time on description (which I believe to be irrelevent most of the time anyway). He focuses on the inner dialogue or else the actions of the characters. I believe this to be effective because humans are drawn more to characters and events than setting and description.

No comments: