05 December 2006

Judging Literature

Is it possible to judge a work of literature as good or bad? I suppose if there were a set of standards for what constitutes a good piece of literature then I could judge whether any given work did or did not meet those standards. Are there any such standards? I do not know. Let us imagine that there is. Let us say that all good literature needs to have the following: (1) proper grammar, (2) suspense, (3) the exploration of at least one universal human theme, and (4) a resolution. Using this criteria I would deem Hugo's Les Miserables an excellent novel. Salinger's "Seymour: An Introduction", on the other hand, would get a very poor rating according to these standards. This might be fine for me, but what if someone thinks that Salinger's story is brilliant? Would they be heretics? No, because my standards are only accepted by me (unless someone happened to agree). A work of literature is only as good as the standards say it is, and the standards are determined by anyone and everyone who cares to create them. Thus there is no inherently good or bad literature because there does not exist an immutable set of standards. All literature is expression. You cannot judge expression for the same reason you cannot judge a rose bush (unless you devise an artificial standard, of course).

No comments: